Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Oh hey.... Blog.... Long Time No See.....



So… It’s been awhile.  Like 240 days-ish. 

Fact:  I’m not a very good blogger. 

A lot has happened in our lives the last eight months.   Clay and I moved into an apartment in Riverdale in February.  It was the perfect little first place for us despite it totally being in the ghetto.  (We had multiple dead bolt locks on our doors for crying out loud.)  We were both working jobs we hated.  Clayton was going to school full time.  We were going through the motions.  Don’t get me wrong, we were enjoying married life together and being on our own.  But we really didn’t have much direction as to where we wanted to be.   All we knew is we wanted to be wherever we were supposed to be together. 

After watching a million episodes of Lockup, Gangland, etc. on Netflix, Clayton officially decided that he wanted to go into law enforcement as a career.  This meant we now needed to figure out how we were going to get him into the police academy.  We had heard rumors that if you applied for jobs with certain departments, you could get a job AND get sponsored through the academy – the trick was finding out which departments to apply to and then cross your fingers you got hired.

In June, we caught word that the Department of Corrections was hiring and would put employees through the first part of the academy.  We jumped all over it.  We put in an application, and a few weeks later, Clay was selected to interview and do a physical test.  There were about 140 people who were selected for this from over 300 applicants.  We were excited.  Only problem was – the date the interviewing and testing was on fell on our highly anticipated Lake Powell trip (Clay had never been).  So – we missed part of Lake Powell, crossing our fingers it would be worth it. 

It was.  A few weeks later, we discovered Clayton had moved on to the next part of testing – a psych exam.  He took the exam, which was pretty much a several hour long scan-tron test which would judge his character followed by meeting with a shrink.  A few weeks later, I learned that my husband was not certifiably crazy as he moved on in the next part of testing.  A drug test, polygraph test, and doctors examination were now required. 

The hiring process was long.  It was frustrating.  But almost three months after first putting in an application, Clay received a final offer of employment from the DOC.  He was one of about 40 people offered positions.  We. Were. THRILLED.  He started the academy at Salt Lake Community College on August 27.  Also on August 27, we became eligible for HEALTH INSURANCE – and AMAZING health insurance at that!  It was such a blessing as only a few weeks before I had ended up in the emergency room.   $2000.00 is a big scary bill to get – hopefully we never see a bill this large again!  Clay has been in the academy just shy of a month.  He LOVES it.  And seeing my best friend so happy makes me so happy. 

We decided we needed to move – and so move we did.  We moved to Draper on August 22nd.  We LOVE our new apartment, and it is so nice to be close to my sisters – especially Whitney, who is easily one of my very best friends.  The only downside about our move is that Clayton is still a student at Weber State.  All of his classes are online – so he has to drive to campus to take tests – which is about four-five times a month.  We are in the process of getting his tests proctored so he won’t have to drive as far.  Only one semester left until he has his Associates!  He also works 10 hours a week doing security at The Gateway – which is where I work as a dispatcher.  Needless to say – he is busy.  And I am (sort of) just as busy making sure he has food to eat, clothes to wear, a clean home to come home to at night and helping him with his homework and all the studying he has to do.  Full time work, part time work and full time school – I am amazed that I was able to convince such a hard working, wonderful man to marry me.    I’ve never been so proud of someone in my entire life.  He never complains about anything (except maybe his Anthropology homework) and never forgets to tell me how much he loves me.  He is always thinking of me and doing little things to take care of me and show me he cares.  Man, I got lucky. 

Clay and I won’t have a day off together until October 6th – the day AFTER our first wedding anniversary and my 25th birthday.  Holy crap.  We’ve (almost) been married a year.  Where has the time gone?  Holy BIGGER crap.  I will be 25?!  Weird. 

The last year of my life has been probably the biggest “learning experience” for me.  Aside from my divorce – it was probably THE hardest year of my life ( I thought 2010 was rough.  Boy, 2011 has it BEAT.)  But I can honestly say it was also my best year of my 25 years here on Earth.  I’ve learned so much about who I want to become, the type of sister and daughter I want to be, the type of friend I want to be, the type of wife I want to be, and about the type of mother I want to be one day.  I don’t always do my best – especially in the friend department (man, I’ve been a terrible friend to some) – but that’s why we are here.  To do better.  And I’ve got to remind myself of that EVERY SINGLE DAY.  Each day I wake up is a chance to be a better me.

Life is good. It’s SO busy – but I can’t complain about one single thing.   And, I’d rather be super busy than really bored.  J Being poor, newly-wed college students is the best! (Really, the best.)   I’ll try and do a better job updating this blog as exciting things happen in our life.  There’s not much exciting about non-stop school, work or laundry.  But I forget how much I enjoy writing.  Maybe I’ll rant about politics or religion – I could talk about those things all day (aren’t those two subjects you AREN’T supposed to talk about?  Haha, no wonder I’ve lost some friends! )  Until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment